Updated: Sep 15, 2020
This is my favourite vegan brunch (except for vegan smoked salmon… recipe coming soon!), and it’s quick, simple and high in protein. You can get chickpea flour or besan from most supermarkets in the good ol ‘world foods’ aisle and it’s amazing value for money. Kala namak, or black salt is sulfurised so has an eggy taste that’s perfect for recreating those familiar flavours.
¾ cup chickpea flour
1 cup water
pinch sea salt
1 tsp kala namak
2 tbsp. lemon juice
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp smoked paprika
3 tbsp. nutritional yeast
few sprigs fresh parsley, finely chopped
3 chestnut mushrooms, sliced
handful of spinach
drizzle avocado oil (or your fave frying oil)
optional (to serve):
plantain, sliced and fried
1. blend together the first 10 ingredients and put to one side for 5 minutes.
2. fry together the mushrooms and parsley until mushrooms are browned. Add the spinach and leave to wilt.
3. in a separate pan, heat the oil and pour the omelette mix in, spread into a pancake shape.
4. when one side is cooked and golden, flip the omelette and cook the other side.
5. top the omelette with the mushroom and spinach mixture and enjoy with avocado and a salad on the side. or baked beans for extra protein. or lots of lovely plantain!