Updated: Oct 7, 2020
does this need an introduction? crispy, juicy, perfectly seasoned. kfc WHO?
¾ cup spelt flour
¼ cup chickpea flour
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp celery salt
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp oregano
3 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
you can replace the flours with 1 cup plain flour of your choice
¼ cup hot sauce of your choice
1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp ground flax seed
oil for frying (i use grapeseed oil, but any will do)
1 head of cauliflower, cut into large florets (for 'wings' cut into smaller pieces)
1. mix together the ingredients for the dry mixture and put to one side
2. in another bowl whisk together the hot sauce, soy milk, lemon juice and Dijon mustard
3. heat the frying oil. you want it hot enough so that the cauliflower will cook evenly and the coating doesn't burn.
4. dip a cauliflower floret into the wet mixture, then drop it into the flour mixture. coat the cauliflower completely. repeat this step, double dipping the cauliflower. each floret should be dipped twice before being placed in the hot oil.
5. deep fry for about 3-5 minutes, until the pieces are golden.
6. place the fried cauliflower onto two sheets of paper towel to absorb any extra oil and enjoy!