Updated: May 9, 2020
my favourite spinner dumplings, a creamy sauce and filling veg.
1 whole scotch bonnet pepper
3 bay leaves
6 cloves garlic
3 spring onions
1 small onion
5 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 cups cooked kidney beans
2 white potatoes, cubed
2 carrots, sliced
½ cup water
2 cups coconut milk
sea salt and black pepper
chickpea spinners (dumplings)
½ cup spelt flour
½ cup chickpea flour
4 tbsp cold water
1. make the spinner dough by combining the flours, salt and water and kneading for a few minutes to make a soft dough. keep in the fridge until needed.
2. dice the onion and slice the spring onions. Keep the garlic cloves whole.
3. in a large pan heat the coconut oil and fry the onions for 4-5 minutes until golden.
4. season with the bay leaves, allspice, garlic, smoked paprika, and thyme and fry on low for about a minute until the spices are fragrant.
5. add the cooked kidney beans, potatoes, carrots and coconut milk.
6. season with salt and pepper and cook on a medium heat for about 15 minutes.
7. separate the dough into 15 equal pieces and roll each into spinners with your hands.
8. add the spinners to the stew and cook for a further 15 minutes or until the spinners float to the top.
serve with rice or your favourite grain.